Tuesday, September 6, 2011

In January, I received a forwarded e-mail from a family medicine residency looking for a physician to lead a medical mission to a day school/orphanage for disabled and poor children in Quito, Ecuador, during the fall of 2011.  At the time, I was casting about the internet looking for something special to do for my 50th birthday, and had hitherto been unsatisfied with the possibilities. When the e-mail arrived, I knew without hesitation that the universe had decided for me--I responded immediately with my desire and willingness to do this.  I had not idea what it entailed, but nor did I care.  One short phone call later, it was decided--this was my trip to plan and execute.  Within 24 hours, the PharmD who I was planning to ask to join me, asked me first if she could join up--we had the team.  We scheduled two weeks in September to do the work.  We found three family medicine residents and four pharmacy students who wanted to be a part of this wonderful adventure.

It is now 10 days before our departure.  This has been an exercise of letting go, of believing and of trusting.  Sometimes, I worry that we have not gathered enough supplies and medications.  Sometimes I worry that we have gathered too much.  The planes tickets long purchased, housing arrangements made, translators hired, team members signed on, this mission will happen whether we have too much or too little, and in reality, we will have what is sufficient, because we have unlimited amounts of willingness and heart to share ourselves with people we have yet to meet.  And I trust and believe that this trip is what I am supposed to be doing, and through it, I will learn what I am supposed to learn.  I have been overwhelmed and overjoyed with the generosity of the local medical groups,  co-workers, friends and family--everything we have has been donated by someone, with a smile.

This blog is also a new endeavor for me, just as arranging this mission has been.  So many people have been a part of putting this together, that I want to share as much of the experience as I can with those who are interested.  I hear that there is a little internet cafe not too far from our hotel, so I plan to share stories about each day, the good and the bad, as we experience it.  Please feel free to travel with us in spirit.

1 comment:

  1. I am a born follower. Lead on Doc! The world will probably keep turning with or without this commitment, but you and your group give it a lot more class.

    ReplyDelete