Friday, September 30, 2011

And so it ends


Another hike up a the 45 degree angle cobbled street.  Another 53 patients (in 2 1/2 hours).  Another clinic packed up.  More "ciao's" from both sides of the daycare fence.  More beautiful views of the snow covered volcanoes rising more than 16,000 feet into a pale blue sky from the top of the hillside covered in cement homes.  Another ride down the mountainside to our last visit to the Camp Hope school and our going away party.  It was a going away party to end all going away parties!

You haven't lived
until you've seen
a wheelchair dance.

You haven't lived
until you have seen a grin
as bright as the sun.

You haven't lived
until you've seen a
six year old salsa.

You haven't lived,
until you've seen black
painted faces dancing.

You haven't lived,
until you've heard
the deaf sing.

You haven't lived
until you've danced
with party dots.

You haven't lived,
until you've been
kissed by 70 kids.

You haven't lived
until you've seen
a wheelchair dance.

I have lived.

We didn't save any lives, but we hugged a lot of people; the supplies we brought and didn't use are going to Dr. Marcus Nelson, who teaches and works in a family medicine residency here in Quito and in the jungle.  He and I are already scheming about exchanging residents for rotations.  I'm not sure why I was called to do this trip--I thought perhaps I would experience some epiphany;  if I had one, I missed it.  I did meet wonderful people who will be lifelong friends; I did learn to speak some Spanish; I had a great time.

As it is with international work, the benefits for those doing the work far exceeds any benefit to those receiving.  But soul sharing is magical--and who knows what that magic may wrest over time.
Seventy kisses

To see more pictures of wheelchairs dancing, go to http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2003672414526.2095699.1325083251 .

To learn more about Camp Hope, go to www.camphopeecuador.org.   If you are looking for a good cause to support, I can vouch for this one.
Mari and Ronald

Ciao.  Thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment